Wednesday, August 19, 2020


"Look at me, is what I wanted to say to you. Talk to me every once in a while. Find me a cure for these tears, I'd really like to exhale for the first time in my life."



While this is technically my second read-through of this book, I remember absolutely nothing from the first time I read it, and I essentially read this with fresh eyes for the first time.

I'm giving this a 2.5 stars.

First and foremost, I want to address the fact that I nearly quit reading this quite a few times towards the beginning. The first 10 or so chapters were so hard to get through, and I believe it mostly had to do with the setting. I had said on an Instagram post that I was contemplating DNF-ing this book, and a lot of people told me to stick with it so, I did.

Once it got into the middle portion of the book, I realized why. The intensity picks up and everything goes into full-throttle craziness. The stakes get much higher, the characters become more fleshed out- everything just gets amplified and I can't deny that I started to enjoy the book. Also, the last few chapters of the book introduce my all-time favorite trope into the narrative, so I am beyond excited to see where that goes.

I love Adam's character so much. His motives make sense and he easily fits into the list of YA love interests that I'm a fan of. And while I know where things eventually end up involving some of his plot points (damn you, past Anna for spoiling this series for yourself) I am interested to see how we get there.

So while the middle section and the last portion were definitely worthy of a 4 stars from me, the first few chapters of the book were so unbearable (like...1 star territory).

Post a Comment